International Museum Day
International Museum Day 2022 The Power of Museums
The power of innovating on digitalisation and accessibility: Museums have become innovative playing-grounds where new technologies can be developed and applied to everyday life. Digital innovation can make museums more accessible and engaging, helping audiences understand complex and nuanced concepts.
The International Museum Day (IMD) on 18 May is an event organized by the International Council of Museums since 1977 to raise awareness that “museums are an important means of cultural exchange, enrichment of cultures and development of mutual understanding, cooperation and peace among peoples.” ICOM
Culture knows no borders
This is the first year that Wikimedia Community Malta will be organising and taking part in International Museum Day. For several years, the event has been an occasion for Wikipedians to improve the presence of museums on Wikipedia, Wikidata, and further Wikimedia projects. This day event will help to improve the data about museums and related people. The overall project is coordinated by Wikimedia CH (WMCH) in association with Wikimedia Österreich (WMAT) and with direct support by Wikimedia Deutschland (WMDE) and the Volunteer Supporters Network (VSN). Wikimedia IMD
Wikimedia Community Malta is one of the participating Wikimedia organizations, working in collaboration with Heritage Malta for the Maltese component of this activity.
Event in Malta
- Date: 18th May 2022
- Location: Fort St Elmo
- Time: 1pm - 5pm
Presentation by Enrique Tabone, Connecting open data on Wikidata
Wikipedia editing workshops: Improving, editing, and translating articles
Wikidata workshop: How to contribute and improve Wikidata
NOTE: you only need to do two things to participate fully in either of the Wikipedia editing workshops and edit-a-thons:
CREATE A WIKIPEDIA USER ACCOUNT (if you don't already have one) Bring a laptop or wifi-enabled tablet device with you, if you have one
If you like, you can also learn a little about editing ahead of time here.
If you really want to get ahead of the curve, see Getting started on Wikipedia for more information.
- Create a list of all Museums run by Heritage Malta
- Edit the Heritage Malta Wikipedia article and translate it to the Maltese Wikipedia Heritage Malta en Heritage Malta mt
- Fix and update Heritage Malta Wiki data Q3785211
- Create/Edit Wikipedia articles of all Heritage Malta Museums and translate them to Maltese
- Create/Update Wikidata of all Heritage Malta Museums and include coordinates for mapping
- Discussion about releasing high-resolution images on WikiCommons and information under a free license with a follow-up event on the 21st of May 2022 Event
- Map and Visualise Data
- Putting Malta on the WikiData Museums Map