Wiki Loves Folklore
Wiki Loves Folklore is an international photographic contest organized annually at Wikimedia Commons to document folk cultures in different regions of the world. Wikimedia Community Malta organized the first edition for this contest in Malta in 2022. Wiki Loves Folklore 2022 is a continuation of Wiki Loves Folklore 2021 with the theme of folk culture. The origin of the project started in 2018 from Commons:Wiki Loves Love 2019 in the theme of ceremonies and festivals of love.
- Login to your Wikimedia account or (create a Wikimedia account here)
- Make sure that your account includes your email address as this is the way you'll be contacted if you win.
- UPLOAD HERE (throughout the month of FEBRUARY)
- Indicate the country where your photo was taken
This photography contest is focused on folk culture of different regions on categories, such as, but not limited to: folk festivals, folk dances, folk music, folk activities, folk games, folk cuisine, folk wear, folklore, and tradition, including ballads, folktales, fairy tales, legends, traditional song and dance, folk plays, games, seasonal events, calendar customs, folk arts, folk religion, mythology etc. You can check out some examples here.
Scope in Malta
As the contest takes place throughout the month of February, in Malta the focus is particularly on the Feast of St. Paul's Shipwreck (on 10 February in Valletta, Marsalforn and Munxar), Carnival (last week of February across Malta and Gozo), and preparations for Lent (start on 2 March 2022).
Folk culture by country, Folk art, Chinese fortune telling, Folk dance, Europeade, Folk festivals, Folklore, Folk games, Gavari, Folk groups, Folk magic, Folk museums, Folk music, Newweling, Folk religion, Traditional music, Traditional songs, Folk wrestling.
- 1st prize: 400 USD
- 2nd prize: 200 USD
- 3rd prize: 100 USD
- Top 10 consolation prizes: 10 USD each
- Best Video prize and best Audio prize: 25 USD, 25 USD (each)
- Top uploader prize for images: First Prize 100 USD, Second prize 50 USD
- Wiki Loves Folklore Postcards to top 100 Uploaders
- Certificates and postcards to Local Organizers
(Disclaimer: Prizes to be dispersed in a gift card or voucher format by International organizing team, not by Wikimedia Community Malta.)
- February 1 – 28, 2022
- Start for submissions: February 1, 2022 00:01 (UTC)
- Deadline for submissions: February 28, 2022 23:59 (UTC)
- Results Declaration: To be declared on July 25, 2022 at WLF 2022 page on Commons
(Note: Result declaration is subject to changes and may be delayed subject to circumstances with pandemic.)
- Email contact: mailwikimalta.org
- You may contact the international team through the talk page on Commons.
- FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions
Organizing team in Malta
Workshops and photowalks
Every Thursday evening throughout February, WCM will be holding online workshops around the use of Wikimedia Commons, Wikidata, and Wikipedia editing (indicated times are CET/UTC+1):
- 3 February: 6pm until 8pm
- 10 February: 6pm until 8pm
- 17 February: 6pm until 8pm
- 24 February: 6pm until 8pm
These will lead into the Feminism and Folkore/Art+Feminism session/s during the first week of March.
Further details will be announced soon. Please check back later...
All images uploaded via the special upload wizard will be put in the Category:Images from Wiki Loves Folklore 2022. All uploads from Malta need to indicate the country where the photo was taken, and they will appear on Category:Images from Wiki Loves Folklore 2022 in Malta.