Wiki Loves Monuments
Wiki Loves Monuments is an annual international photographic competition based upon the topic of built cultural heritage. It is one of the largest photographic competitions in the world, with the 2014 edition attracting the submission of over 300,000 photos from over 8,000 participants in 41 countries across the world.
Malta has been participating in Wiki Loves Monuments through Wikimedia Community Malta since 2016. Entries come from a list of monument in Malta, which is available on Wikipedia, based on the National Inventory of the Cultural Property of the Maltese Islands (NICPMI). Some general for statistic for entries from Malta indicate the number of participants and how many photos they submitted to Wikimedia Commons during each year.
Wiki Loves Monuments 2018 in Malta contest is now closed. Here are some pages to visit, directly related to this contest:
- Wiki Loves Monuments 2018 in Malta project page
- Images from Wiki Loves Monuments 2018 in Malta
- Wiki Loves Monuments 2018 in Malta stats from WMFlabs
- Information about WLM uploads from Malta in 2018
How does it work?
Participants submit photos of relevant monuments/buildings to Wikimedia Commons using a Creative Commons licence throughout the competition. Local winners are then selected by a local panel of judges. The judges also nominates up to 10 photographs to contest the international award, where the overall winner is selected by an international jury.
Every submission must be:
- Self taken and self uploaded;
- Uploaded during the month of September of the same year;
- Freely licensed;
- Contain an identified monument;
What can be photographed
The subject matter of photos submitted to Wiki Loves Monuments must be related to monuments, understood to be any physical structure that was created to commemorate a person or event, or any physical structure of particular significance and relevance to a locality's cultural heritage. The below are examples of structures that are eligible for this competition (the list is not exhaustive):
- Monuments & statues
- Church-related/religious monuments (e.g. effigies, temples)
- Cenotaphs & memorials
- Graves, tombstones & mausoleums
- Historical landmarks
- Buildings, palaces, bastions, castles etc.
For more information, please refer to the list of eligible monuments.
- 1 September: Contest opens in Malta
- 30 September: Contest closes in Malta
- 1 October - 31 October: Exhibition of all Malta entries to WLM 2018
- 1 November: WLM 2018 Malta top 10 announced
- 1 November - 30 November: Exhibition of all Malta entries to WLM 2018 with winners
Judges: Mario Mintoff, Russell Muscat, Alexandra Pace, Mykola Swarnyk
Judges: Charles Coleiro, Isabella Mallia, Mario Mintoff, Rebecca O'Neill, Raffaella Zammit
- Wiki Loves Monuments 2016 in Malta project page
- Images from Wiki Loves Monuments 2016 in Malta
- Wiki Loves Monuments 2016 in Malta stats from WMFlabs
- Information about WLM uploads from Malta in 2016
Judges: Sabina Bonnici, Vanessa Ciantar, Charles Coleiro, Patrick Farrugia, Mario Mintoff, Richard Nevell
- Wiki Loves Monuments 2017 in Malta project page
- Images from Wiki Loves Monuments 2017 in Malta
- Wiki Loves Monuments 2017 in Malta stats from WMFlabs
- Information about WLM uploads from Malta in 2017