Wikipedia Editing Workshop for European Translators
This page contains information specific for Malta's EU Translation Team, facilitated by Wikimedia Community Malta trainer Dr Toni Sant.
The workshop will take place online in two 3-hour parts for a total of 6 hours.
- About the event
Following up on a presentation about Wikipedija at Europa House in Valletta in November 2018 this event is designed to train professional translators in the basics of editing Wikipedia. The workshop will also explore the current state of Wikipedija and provide an opportunity to consider what translators can do to improve the standing of Maltese-language content.
- How do I prepare?
If you really want to get ahead of the curve, see Getting started on Wikipedia for more information
- Goal for the day: explore the power of Wikipedia as a knowledge-sharing tool and learn editing basics, in the context of translating content to Maltese and other European languages.
- During the PART I of the workshop (3 hours) participants will
- Gather in assigned online room, make sure everyone has Wikipedia User Account
- Learn how Wikipedia works, a bit of history...and who we have in the room
- Start editing
- Discover how Wikipedia is used for translation, what are the trends internationally...and ways to address the current situation with Wikipedija?
- During the PART II of the workshop (3 hours) participants will
- Learn about other open knowledge projects operating around Wikipedia: eg. Wikidata, Wikimedia Commons, Wikisource.
- Discuss options/plans for further engagement with Wikipedia in Translation - esp. vital articles
- Continue editing
A list of attendees will appear here once user accounts have been registered. More details about this closer to the workshop date/s.
Links mentioned during the workshop
- Wikitext Cheat Sheet super-simplified help
- Wikipedia DOs + DON'Ts - including stylesheet, reference guide, etc.
- Wikipedia:Translate us - on translating articles from the English Wikipedia into other languages
- Vital articles + Lista ta' artikli li kull Wikipedija għandu jkollha]