Wikipedia Editing Workshop for UoM Translators
This page contains information specific to a workshop at the for members of the University of Malta's Translation and Interpretation Studies Department at the facilitated by Wikimedia Community Malta trainer Dr Toni Sant.
17 January 2019
- About the event
Following up on a presentation about Wikipedija at Europa House in Valletta in November 2019 this event is designed to train professional translators in Wikipedia editors. The workshop will also explore the current state of Wikipedija and provide an opportunity to consider what translators can do to improve the standing of Maltese-language content.
- How do I prepare?
If you really want to get ahead of the curve, see Getting started on Wikipedia for more information
- Goal for the day: explore the power of Wikipedia as a knowledge-sharing tool and learn editing basics, in the context of translating content to Maltese and other European languages.
- 13:00-13:10 | Gather in assigned room, set up computers/laptops, check internet connection and make sure everyone has Wikipedia User Account
- 13:10-14:20 | Intro - How Wikipedia works and its pillars, a bit of history, what do we want to learn today and who do we have in the room
- comfort break
- 14:30-15:30 | Start editing
- comfort break
- 15:40-16:30 | How is Wikipedia used for translation, what are the trends internationally...and how do we address the current situation with Wikipedija?
- 16:30-17:00 | Final Q&A and plans for engaging with Wikipedia in Translation
A list of attendees will appear here once user accounts have been registered.