Wikipedia Editing Workshops for Bioversity
This page contains information specific to Bioversity for workshops facilitated by Wikimedia Community Malta trainer Toni Sant since 2016.
26 January 2018
- About the event
Following up on the successful workshop in 2016 this event was designed to provide a further training opportunity for new Wikipedians and a refresher on the basic essentials for anyone already editing Wikipedia and/or exploring other Wikimedia projects.
- How do I prepare?
If you really want to get ahead of the curve, see Getting started on Wikipedia for more information
- Goal for the day: explore the power of Wikipedia as a knowledge-sharing tool and learn editing basics.
- 9:15-9:30 | Gather in Sakura room, set up laptops, check wifi, connect to Chris, Simon, Rachel and Inge who will be tuning in online
- 9:30-11:00 | Intro - How Wikipedia works and its pillars, a bit of history, what do we want to learn today and who do we have in the room
- 11:00-11:15 coffee break
- 11:15-12:45 | Create accounts, start editing
- 12:45-13:45 lunch
- 13:45-15:00 | How is Wikipedia used for science, what can our researchers do with it, what are the trends
- 15:00-15:15 coffee break
- 15:15-16:30 | Q&A
- wikipedia:User:Ewa hermanowicz
- wikipedia:User:Nicole Renee Demers
- wikipedia:User:Gennifer Meldrum
- wikipedia:User:Chriskettle *
- wikipedia:User:Chaserachel *
* denotes attendee who attended the workshop remotely.
The workshop is coordinated for Bioversity by Marta Millere.
29 September 2016
The first Wikipedia Editing Workshop for Bioversity by Wikimedia Community Malta trainer Toni Sant was held on 29 September 2016.
- hour 1: introduction/s and discussion of expectations for the day
- hour 2 + hour 3: wikipedia basics and essentials with hands on participation
- lunch break
- hour 4 + hour 5: working on specific examples related to concrete tasks/species
- hour 6: discussion of specific tasks going forward and handling advanced aspects of wikipedia (inc. wikidata and wikispecies)
This workshop was coordinated for Bioversity by Ewa Hermanowicz.
Links mentioned during the workshop
- Slideshow used during the workshops - PDF format
- Toni Sant's Wikipedia User page
- Wikitext Cheat Sheet simplified help
- Listen to Wikipedia
- WikiGalaxy - exploring Wikipedia in 3D