Wikipedia Workshops for Translators
Wikimedia Community Malta recognizes that significant work on the Maltese-language Wikipedia is only possibly by engaging translators. To this end, the organization works closely with the Language Office of the European Commission Representative Office in Malta to facilitate engagement within the sector.
WCM's first public engagement with Wikipedija took the form of a presentation delivered by Dr Toni Sant during a seminar on translation organised by the European Commission's Representative Office in Malta at Europe House in Valletta on 24 November 2018. The presentation was called Using Wikipedija to engage with digital prospects for the Maltese language.
This was followed up with a Wikipedia Editing Workshop for Translators at the University of Malta on 17 January 2019.
Subsequent opportunities for translators are captured on this page, starting with an initiative associated with Wikipedija:Wikipedia 20. To celebrate Wikipedia's 20th birthday WCM launched a campaign in 2021 to translate/create 20 essential articles on 20 vital subject that any encyclopedia should contain.
In 2023 WCM returned to the University of Malta to work with students on the MA in Translation Studies led by Dr Claudine Borg .
Relevant links for editors on the Wikification workshop
- Feminism & Folklore 2023 Dashboard
21 + 22 January 2021
- Goal for these sessions:
to skill up new Wikipedia editors while creating and improving Maltese-language Wikipedia pages as part of the Wikipedija:Wikipedia 20 campaign.
- Before the workshops:
- CREATE A WIKIPEDIA USER ACCOUNT (if you don't already have one)
- REGISTER your participation in the WIKIPEDIA 20 Campaign
If you like, you can also learn a little about editing ahead of time here or here.
If you really want to get ahead of the curve, see Getting started on Wikipedia for more information.
The Maltese-language version of the tutorial pages are still in need of substantial attention from translators.
- Day 1 - Hour 1: General induction and orientation to Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects
- Day 1 - Hour 2: Exploring the subject area/s of interest to the participants in the room (inc. coffee break)
- Day 1 - Hour 3: Preparing to translate specific Wikipedia pages
- Day 2: Applying skills and knowledge acquired during the previous day's session
Useful links mentioned during the previous workshops
- Wikipedia:Writing better articles
- Wikipedia:References + WP:MOS
- Wikipedia Content Translation Tool
Slides from 2021
Translation: eTranslation | Google Translate Terminology + Vocabulary: IATE | Il-Miklem | Glosbe - MT Dictionaries: Ġabra | Linguee | Dizzjunarju Malti Deċizjonijiet tal-Kunsill Nazzjonali tal-Ilsien Malti (2008)
- Wikipedia Workshop for Maltese Translators 2021 - stats dashboard
- List of Wikipedias
- Maltese-language Wikipedia
- Wikipedia Editing Workshops
- How to translate Wikipedia articles 2019 video by Wikimedia UK
Other articles of interest
- The biggest and busiest languages on Wikipedia - 13 June 2012 in Tech Musings